June 25, 2009

The Introduction

Life can throw some interesting people into your life, in some very interesting circumstances. They may inspire you to take a new direction in life or try something you never thought you would ever try before. This is what happened to me when I got to know someone who built Skin on Frame canoes in May 2008. I had paddled Kayaks as a teenager but that was more than 20 years ago. I enjoyed working with wood but had never in my wildest dreams thought that I would ever build a boat. But after a few evenings watching and helping Scott and his friend Peter with one of their boats, I was hooked.

Building a Canoe was not for me, but after trawling the internet for many weeks I decided that I was going to build a Kayak. The website that I found was
http://www.capefalconkayak.com/ and the boat was the F1.
Brian Schulz of Cape Falcon Kayaks has made his design available free of charge (he does request a small donation if you enjoy his boat). The boat was everything I was looking for in a kayak; ideal for surf or flat water, while being stable and easy to build.

So the journey of building my first boat began. That was July 2008. It has taken me a year, but it is nearly finished and I am really getting excited about getting it on the water. Over the next month or so I will put up a blog of how I have built the Kayak and share some of the adventures I will take it on.

I hope you enjoy it.

Note:- The photo at the top of this blog and the photo attached to this entry are both from Brian Schulz website
www.capefalconkayak.com. It is a great website with a stack of information on Skin on Frame Kayaks. All other photos will be of my boat.